Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Reading Julie and Julia

So a friend of mine recently told me I was a walking encyclopedia. What do you mean I said? Well, here's what she meant. She called me one day from the street and told me where she was and said...."I need to find a free WiFi spot". Well, apparently, I had the answer for her. I forgot about this until she suggested me for a possible gig.

And then....today...I'm reading Julie & Julia by Julie Powell and there is this part about when she is making steaks with beef bone marrow sauce or something like that (have to get out my 1st edition Julia Child "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" to check out the recipe) and she was writing about how herself, her friend, her husband and her brother all went on an out and out search for the beef bone to extract this marrow from. They searched in Astoria, LIC, the West Village.....and as I'm reading this (keep in mind that this is back in the year 2002), I found myseof screaming in my head "GO TO JEFFERSON MARKET, GO TO JEFFERSON MARKET" on 6th Avenue and 11th Street.

Well, a few paragraphs down, where do you think they found said bone. Yep, you got it...Jefferson Market.

Oh how I miss the real Jefferson Market. For those of you who are not aware, Jefferson Market was a supermarket in the West Village that was terrific. Incredible meat department. Cheeses, prepared foods. Cheaper than Balduccis or Citarella (which I now love...more on that later). But alas, the original owner sold the market I think to Gristedes. And honestly....I can't be bothered going in. I checked it out, and it's not the same. A moment of silence for the old Jefferson Market.

Now I admit I go to Citarella down the street at 6th Avenue between 9th and 10th Streets. I love all my market people there. Devin and Irv in Cheese are AWESOME (and they are the only ones I trust for my Brie de Mieux). I've followed Devin from Jefferson Market. Lost him when he went to that Balduccis on 14th Street which wasn't really Balduccis. He knows his cheese. And Mario, is the best with the fruit. But his associate Jose won't steer you wrong either. Great fish and meat. Yes, I am really a foody. Love to cook, love to eat.

Anyway....I have talked enough for now.

Later.

1 comment:

  1. Not only are you a wealth of knowledge, my beautiful cousin-by-marriage, but you are a pretty witty writer as well!! Much luck with your new endeavor! Have fun! I will be checking it out!

    ReplyDelete