Sunday, September 13, 2009

Baked Cucumber, etc.

So I finally have cracked open my Mastering the Art of French Cooking (admittedly, inspired by Julie Powell's book "Julia and Julia") and made two recipes.

Last night I made Foie De Veau A La Moutarde (Calves Liver with Mustard, Herbs and Bread Crumbs). Now don't go yech. I happen to like calves liver and I know my friend Scotty, NEVER thought he would eat anything like liver or Veal Kidneys, but the first time I served him Veal Kidneys and every time thereafter he has LOVED them.

Well, Julie Powell is right. It is a wonderful dish. And very easy to make. Really delicious. I will definitely make it again. And this dish made me a little less afraid of my broiler. Since I don't have a Garland Stove like Julia or a Viking or anything of that stature, I have a sucky broiler at the bottom of my stove that you need to watch so it doesn't catch fire. WHY they ever put the broiler down there with NO room for adjustment between the fire and the food, I will never know. Some day, I dream of a real stove. I bet it would change my cooking life.

Today, I tried my hand at Concombres au Beurre (baked Cucumbers) Persilles (parsley). I loved the Julia's "preliminary sorjourn" in salt, sugar and wine vinegar. They even taste good just after the cucumbers have stood in this mixture for an hour. And the liquid that you get after you drain would make a great vinaigrette if you add a little olive oil and fresh herbs. Yum.

Now, I think I need to definitely get a oven thermometer. And I need to pay attention to more accurate measurements of cutting the cucumbers. I may have made them a little too thin, after looking at a ruler later. Julia tells you to cut then into lengthwise strips of about 3/8 inch wide. Between that and perhaps a too hot oven, they may have cooked a bit too much. She says that they should have "a suggestion of crispness and texture. They will barely color during cooking." Mine browned a bit. Still good, but I think would have been better if I was sure of the oven temp and the size of the strips. Well, next time will be better. AND of course, I will report back.

Hmmm....what will the next recipe be.

Maybe one of David Lebowitz' recipes from My Sweet Life In Paris. I loved that book and he has great recipes in there. I've already made my own creme fraiche. It was a beautiful thing. But I think the trick is to make sure that buttermilk is very fresh. The first time it was PERFECT. The 2nd time, not as perfect. I also find that depending on what the temp in the house is, you have to leave it longer than 12 hours. Well...trial and error.

Life is all about trial and error. I just hope I keep learning from my mistakes.

Well, off to other adventures.

Have a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment