Friday, September 4, 2009

Concombres Au Beurre

So today I am reading the part of Julie & Julia where she makes Concombres Au Beurre (Baked Cucumbers). I must admit, I was at first a little grossed out by the thought of baked cucumbers but as I read on, I was surprised to find, that Julie (who was also originally, hesitant about this idea) was pleasantly surprised as was her friend and husband.

SO, with my feet killing me from walking around all day, I soaked my feet in Dead Sea Salts (it's almost like I'm a lady of leisure here with the salts) and I couldn't resist looking up the recipe. And I must admit....I am intrigued. I think I must try it. Maybe this weekend. So Julie has not only inspired me to blog, but she has inspired me to actually try a recipe or two from my copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking which I am proud to say is a first edition. And here is where we will add a bit of shopping to our blog post today. I was lucky enough to get a used 1st edition copy of Julia's book.

And I got it for cheap. Yes, I think I paid $20 a book (I got both). For those of you who don't know, there is a great little used cookbook store called Bonnie Slotnick Cookbooks. I just double-checked online and yes, she is still there at 163 West 10th Street in the West Village. Be sure to call ahead to make sure she is open as sometimes her hours vary. The phone number is 212-989-8102.

Great little store. Owner is very nice, and talkative and is very knowledgeable about cookbooks new and old.

Well, for now, that's all. Off to see what else I am prepared to try from Mastering the Art of French Cooking and who I will enlist to help me....JB maybe? Will keep you posted.

Have a good night everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment