Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Looking for Work in the big city

I know it's been awhile since I blogged, but here we go.

The past few weeks I've spent running around meeting concierges at all the high-end and boutique hotels in New York City to offer my makeup (and grudgingly hair) services to their guests. Everyone has been really nice and it seems that about 95% of these hotels don't have someone on file (and that's probably why they always call MAC Cosmetics).

In fact, my friends from MAC are who gave me the idea to do this. So far, I've gotten one job over Halloween (which was fun, I got to make a guy a ghoul for Halloween night) at one hotel. Another called me last minute and I almost got to do a Saudi Arabian Prince, but his party got canceled. Drat!

I did just do a makeup assist job that was loads of fun and I learned a ton. I did have moments where I was like "Wow, I feel like I don't know anything", but I guess that is what learning is about.....learning to make your craft better.

I hope this all pays off, but I have moments of fear that it won't. I'm behind on a couple of things, and I have to admit, all the bill companies including my building manager have been nice in arranging payment plans.

Now, I just have to take a big breath and keep moving. Next stop, bridal boutiques, I think, but first....I have to get my website up. It's not up yet and I may not be able to do a cool flash site right away, but at least get an html site up for now, (it will be jadeelhaddad.com. ) Hope when it's up you will come and check it out. It's the only way people will take me seriously. Right now I have my work on a modelmayhem account. And I know that probably seems like a joke. So onward and upward and to my website.

Life is rough sometimes, but I guess that's what makes us stronger. At least I hope so.

1 comment:

  1. Jade, it's not only about getting stronger. You'll be in a whole new place even if it all seems like a big mess and you're flying by the seat of your pants right now. 2010 is going to be fabulous for you; I checked my crystal ball.

    ReplyDelete